How We Work
- All hospitals in the greater New York metropolitan area are required by law to notify the New York Organ Donor Network of in-hospital deaths or imminent deaths.
- The Donor Network has highly trained staff whose primary role is to ensure that families carry out the legally binding consent decisions of their loved ones to be donors.
- If the person was not enrolled in the New York State Donate Life Registry, the Donor Network seeks authorization for donation from family members or other authorized individuals.
- The Donor Network works closely with hospital personnel to recover suitable organs (including hearts, kidneys, livers and lungs) and tissues (such as heart valves, cardiovascular tissue, bone and skin), and to seek or confirm consent for cornea donation.
- We offer follow-up care and referrals to all families who consent to donation or whose loved ones had legally consented to donation.